Wednesday, November 18, 2009

The "I want" list

Do you have a list of “I wants?” Many people do.


I want a new IPOD. I want a new cell phone. I want a new car. I want new clothes. I want to earn more money. I want more respect. I want a spouse…and the list continues to grow.


Spending one’s days thinking about what one wants all the time is not an enjoyable way to live. It’s a feeling of lack constantly objectified. And the antidote is to replace the “I want something material…” with “I want to know God better. I want to grow spiritually. I want to express God better!”


When your “I want” list transforms from selfish pursuit to God-reflection, life is fun and pleasant. One doesn’t spend all day thinking about what he or she lacks, but rejoices in what he or she already has!


God has endowed you with the greatest assets life has to offer. And these assets are not material things that come and go. They are the riches of Spirit which put bounce in your step, light in your thought, purpose in your work, and hope into your future. They are the treasures of love, gratitude, peace of mind, spiritual mindedness and boundless joy.


So, instead of thinking about all the material things you don’t have, think about all the spiritual things you do have. And enjoy a most satisfying day.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautifully put! Thanks, Evan.

Bill said...

Well said and refreshing to keep our focus on what is really important.

My current want is simple, that a close friend who was told he will be facing the illusion of death.

My thoughts in a prayful nature seem to want to focus on acknowleding his spiritual sense.

He is not a Christian Scientist and I am not sure he believes in our healing nature and focus?

Anonymous said...

To the post by Bill - I have recently witnessed a beautiful healing of a "life threatening" condition. A family adopted a dog which made them very happy. Soon for some reason the dog was diagnosed with a irreversable heart condition. [I give care for this dog while the owners are away and he was not allowed to run, take walks, etc.] I knew that he is the evidence of the Christ, the manifestation of God, and that the trinity, God [Father], Son [perfect manifestation of God]& Holy Ghost [the divine revelation of this fact] could never be broken. I got to the point where I did not accept this "diagnosis" and actually forgot about it. I even let the dog run and be happy. The owner made an appointment with the doggie cardiologist a year later to try to rectify the situation. The imaging was totally normal, no evidence of what they had seen earlier. He continues to be a happy boy! The owners knew nothing of these treatment prayers, which was the acknowledgement of what was true and forever the law governing all of us. I did not feel it was interference to know what is true even if the patient is not a Christian Scientist. All the best wishes ....

Evan said...

Great story. Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

What a shock to log on to this today! Yesterday, I wrote a friend, whining about some dismal, humanly perceived problem, commenting, "I want to dance in the sunshine, like Snoopy on his dog house, I want my corners low, fast and clean, one after the other. I want ridges behind ridges, behind ridges off into the blue haze. I want to stand on the ridge top, raise my outstretched arms and Love the universe!" Well, my friend writes back, "I see a red flag here. Have you counted the number of 'I wants' here?" What a needed, gentle slap in the face and then to have it reinforced by your comments this morning is just great, although, those corners are still somewhat compelling. 'I WANT' to thank you, Evan, for sharing your thinking process.

Evan said...

Oh, how funny! You are welcome. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

At some point several years ago, I shared with a very spiritually evolved lady that I really wanted/needed a new job doing (fill in the blank) in a way that I could help others. I was searching for "my purpose."

She paused for a moment, and I was completely unready for her response. She said, "You know, you are at your absolute apex of usefulness as a spiritual idea of God."

My "want" for purpose (or things or whatever) assumed a much different importance because, as I realized, I could never have more than now. That's the way God made me.

Made me realize that THIS moment is completely filled with God's love. That's a whole lot.It's the apex of God's love. iPhone or not!

Thanks, Evan, for the message.

Post a Comment

 

Spirit View Home Page