Thursday, November 19, 2009

No pain in immortality

A week ago, at the end of a very active work day, feelings of sickness started to suddenly take over. In minutes, I entertained the suggestion, “Oh no, here comes a horrible cold or flu and you are going to suffer for several days.” And my body felt as such.


Thankfully, I noticed what was happening in thought right away, and immediately prayed for relief. The physical sensation of inevitable suffering was strong, but I knew it was only a mental suggestion parading as a physical feeling, and it could be reversed with right spiritual thinking. So, I dug in my metaphysical heels, resisted the claims, and refuted them with spiritual truth.


I declared my health to be spiritual, fixed, permanent, and not susceptible to loss. It was coming from God, and still coming from God. There was no germ, bacteria or virus that could rob me of my health or temporarily weaken it. I had spiritual immunity from any cold or flu, and did not have to fear them.


In a short time, all the sickness symptoms vanished, for which I was grateful, but a horrible headache had set in and would not yield.


I went home for the evening, and continued my prayer for relief from the pain.


I went to bed early, but it didn’t help. In the middle of the night, I got up, went out to the living room and curled up in a quilt in my recliner and read the Bible Lesson for the week, which happened to be on the subject of “Mortals and Immortals.”


The main point I got out of the lesson was the distinction between mortals and immortals,--that God’s child is not a mortal. And that I was God’s child!


A mortal is never an immortal, and an immortal is never a mortal. Also, mortals do not transform into immortals. Mortals are false beliefs about God’s immortal child. And immortals are what God created.

I was an immortal! I was not a struggling mortal trying to find spiritual peace. I was an immortal already in spiritual peace.


I got it! The pain vanished. It was like turning off a switch. Boom! The pain was gone. My head was clear. I was at total peace. I felt heavenly. I felt spiritual. I felt totally well!


Oh, I'm so grateful for Christian Science. Its logic goes against all that the material senses reason, but its blessings are immense when its spiritual truths are caught sight of.
 To let go of mortality, to stop agonizing over how to heal a physical body when the need is simply for spiritualization of thought, to drop the notion of being a mortal and wholeheartedly accept one’s immortality, is the route to freedom—spiritual freedom, where pain is no more.


In a consciousness of immortality, there is no pain. All is peace.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Evan. This suggestion has tried to come in this morning and your thoughts have helped considerably. Vicki

Shelley said...

Thank you Evan! This Thanksgiving, I give "thanks" for all of your giving!!

Susan said...

This is truly an example of the"good news"! Thanks, Evan! Such a logical, clear explanation of how to reason our way out of material problems. (Also called prayer.) With much love and gratitude!

Mary Beth said...

Thank you, Evan, for your testimony! And speaking of the Bible Lesson on Mortals and Immortals...

As I was experiencing symptoms of contagion last week, I entertained the thought I should find a substitute to read on Sunday. But right on the heels of that came the conviction that the Bible Lessons are a complete treatment for all that the world is in need of...including me. And so, this is where I'd find my healing! I continued practicing when I didn't have a voice, and each day there was more voice until on Sunday morning, with the prayerful work of a Christian Science practitioner, I had a complete healing.

I'm so grateful for Christian Science.

Graham said...

Thank you Evan for sharing as in the past 10 minutes this suggestion was so strong. I realized it needed an immediate treatment, and the title of your blog immediately made me realize it was all a lie. The healing is instantaneous. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Evan, your fine example of sweet humility,
unselfish loving, and childlike openness to the truth are....are....pure healing for
our world.

I sincerely thank you.

:<)) Sue

Anonymous said...

Ditto to comments by Shelley, Susan and Anon. And BTW, thanks for your exceptionally good Sentinel article on gratitude. You are indeed a precious gift to church, Evan. Your blogs often meet the need to strengthen my God-given courage and conviction to keep trusting Truth. Many thanks to you for steadfastly shining your light of Love that blesses so many!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you. I love the pure example of how to, and followed by the healing evidence.
It is so much more than words about Christian Science.
The idea most helpful to me was the statement that mortals don't become immortals. God only made immortal man and that is the present reality.

Sweetness and amiability are alive and well here.

Post a Comment

 

Spirit View Home Page