Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Protect yourself from malpractice



Christian Scientists, be a law to yourselves that mental malpractice cannot harm you either when asleep or when awake. Mary Baker Eddy
I awoke early yesterday to read my Bible Lesson and metaphysically prepare for an active day. Part way through my study I suddenly started to feel very ill. My stomach began churning, my head ached and within two minutes a wave of sickness swept over me and tried to lock on. Mentally working to prevent further suffering, I turned to God in prayer and acknowledged one Mind governing my health and well being. In the one Mind, there is no sickness, no potential for sickness and no feeling of sickness, I affirmed.

While listening for further spiritual insight, I glanced at the clock and noticed it was 5 a.m. With no investigative effort of my own, I recognized that it was opening time for a business on the East coast that I had sent a letter to three days ago with a message that was written in a generous and supportive spirit, but could have been received in a negative light by the recipient. I wasn’t sure whether they were sympathetic to my message or not.

On the heels of this awareness, an angel thought told me to protect myself from mental malpractice. I remembered the quote printed above by Mary Baker Eddy, “…be a law to yourselves that mental malpractice cannot harm you….”

Whether the recepient of my letter was malpracticing me or not, I could not say. But I knew my health was going downhill fast, the momentum needed to be halted, and this divine admonition to protect myself vigorously was clamoring for attention. I've learned not to ignore such warnings.

Not knowing what harmful thought I may be protecting myself from, I prayed to know that no evil thought could penetrate my consciousness. There is only one Mind, I affirmed again, and the one Mind was my Mind. Malice has no power and no influence over the activity of the one Mind, and therefore had no power or influence over my thinking. I was safe in the omnipresence of divine Love.

As long as it took to pray the above truth, the sickness lifted and vanished like it never existed.

I’ve had these types of experiences before, and each time I learn again the value and importance of defending myself from mental malpractice from abroad. I often do not know what the source of the evil intent is, but it doesn't matter. Evil has no power whatever form it pretends to take, and the need of prayer is to know this spiritual truth clearly. God is the only power.

Jesus told us to “Watch!” He meant watch for good, for spiritual mindedness lest evil overwhelm our sense of things.

Mary Baker Eddy was adamant in her teachings that her students should actively and daily defend themselves from mental malpractice. She was so convinced of this necessity she included a by-law titled “Alertness to Duty” in the governing document of her Church that states
It shall be the duty of every member of this Church to defend himself daily against aggressive mental suggestion, and not be made to forget nor to neglect his duty to God, to his Leader, and to mankind.

Our duty to God is to remain spiritually minded, bearing witness to the omnipresence of divine Love and the omnipotence of the one Mind wherever we go and in whatever we do.

When we faithfully know one God, one power of good, we become a law unto ourselves that protects our mental sanctuary from outside malicious influence.

Stay alert! Be on guard—for the Truth! And you will be protected too.

3 comments:

athos said...

Thanks, evan, for this...it is very important to understand the mental influences at work, and how each of us can use our spiritually-infused mental efforts to protect ourselves and others. A few years ago I was heading up a major downsizing project in a large company. After a day of informing many individuals that they were being let go, I awoke in the night with severe chest pains. There was no fear as I knew without a doubt that God was/is my life. What came to me was "mental assassins." Mary Baker Eddy uses this term to identify any negative influence that is attempting to destroy one's clarity and conviction about Life and perfect creation. I got up to look up this reference in Science and Health and it just confirmed to me that all I can do is God's will and for this I am rewarded with everlasting Life. Peace came over me and the severe pain disappeared. Over the next several weeks I heard that many of the people who were layed off had found wonderful new jobs.

Evan said...

Thanks athos. You've shared an excellent example of how important it is to understand the mental influences at work we need to protect ourselves from.

reuben said...

grateful to have found your blog,this am was feeling rather angry with myself about "this and that",my dogbuddies sense this and when they do, they stare at me and watch me intently. being a student of mbe i knew a way out and here i am-ok.the native american prayer says..."protect me from my greatest enemy,myself..."mbe shows us how.again thanks for your blog

Post a Comment

 

Spirit View Home Page