Thursday, February 4, 2010

It takes work to raise a family


For those of you who don’t know me personally, I’d like to introduce you to my family.
Above are Tyler, Jenna, Kathy my wife, and me.

When I first saw this photo, I thought, “I like this picture.” It captures much of the joy, unity and love we have for each other.

As I studied it more, though, I realized that my initial impression didn’t do it justice. Eighteen years of memories, experiences, trials, tears and triumphs began to flood thought. There was so much more to be seen than was apparent on the surface.

It takes work to raise a family! I concluded. That picture didn’t appear out of nowhere. It took twenty plus years of dedication, unselfishness, devotion, commitment, faithfulness, sacrifice, perseverance, a never-give-up attitude, a deepening love of God and each other, and heartfelt prayer along the way for that picture to be possible.

I wasn’t complaining, mind you. I’m beyond grateful beyond words for what I have to show. But as I recounted the commitment of mind, soul and body required to keep a family happily together, I gained a greater appreciation than ever for all successful outcomes.

It isn’t easy to raise a family! Any of you doing it know what I’m talking about.

In this age of short term gratification and instant fulfillment of selfish desire, good intentions often start the venture, but give up too early. Personal wants get in the way. Pride interferes. Anger poisons it. Neglect and apathy sap it. Jealousy and envy ruin it. Criticism and accusation strike a stake through its heart. Laziness ignores it. Impatience stresses it. Self-interest divides it. Ego polarizes it.

Men and women in growing numbers decide to stay single these days for many different reasons. And that’s great. Everyone is individual and finds their way to Truth in a way that suits them. But for the individual that decides to start a family, it’s very helpful to know up front, that it will require sacrifice, unwavering commitment, sincerity, faithfulness and a genuine desire to grow in love to succeed.

Raising a family is about raising thought to divine Love. Trials and challenges are opportunities to grow spiritually, to reflect more of our divine nature made in the image of Love and unselfishly bring blessing into another person’s life. Sincere motives are essential to be successful.

So, on one hand, it’s not easy to raise a family. But on the other, when I look at this picture, I’m reminded that the effort is sure worth the reward. I love my family, and it’s been rewarding beyond any treasure in the world to make it this far. It gets more and more fun everyday. I expect to keep going, by the way, and have another picture to show in years to come!

Lots of love to yours.

Matrimony should never be entered into without a full recognition of its enduring obligations on both sides. There should be the most tender solicitude for each other's happiness, and mutual attention and approbation should wait on all the years of married life.” Mary Baker Eddy




6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Evan, This is so very sweet. Thank you for sharing your love of family with us -- with the world which cries out so much for love. You are leading thought by example, and we all can learn from your example, just as we can learn from Jesus' example. Love is the way, the only way, to permanent harmony. Thanks so much for blogging from your heart. Much love to you and your dear family.

gstransom said...

This person said it best !!!!! As he or she said, and thank you !!!!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Evan...your message on marriage needs to be out there! You told it very well and you can be sure that we're all taking notes.

Your family looks great!...spiritually healthy.

Evan said...

Thanks all...I'm sure you have your "notes" to add to the whole discussion of how to succeed too! There is much to learn and demonstrate. But it's all worth it.

Anonymous said...

Dear Evan, I agree with the Anonymouses! Thank you for your effervescent love. Your sweet family is an example of the wonders of His Love. Thank you for all your spiritually uplifting insights. Bon Courage!

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot for sharing Evan - I love your family photo and the warmth, sincerity, and loving kindness that you always exude...I'm very grateful for you and your work for the world!

Post a Comment

 

Spirit View Home Page