Thursday, January 28, 2010

Judge Rightly Not Selfishly

If only I could throw away
the urge to trace my patterns
in your heart I could really see you.
~ Unknown

Have you ever super-imposed your own belief system into the hearts of another and judged them accordingly?

For instance, I brought home a yummy chocolate mousse pie with caramel topping from a local bakery as a treat one weekend. I cut a piece that night, took it into the living room to eat, and my wife said she'd like a couple of bites. I objected! I told her I'd be happy to cut her a piece so she'd have her own.

She said, "No, I want only a couple of bites." But I didn't believe her.

In the moment, I couldn't imagine anyone sitting down and eating only 2 little bites of a chocolate mousse pie, when they rarely had access to such treats. This was a rare indulgence for our home.
But honestly, she only wanted a couple of little bites.



Afterward, I thought, "I superimposed what I would do into her thinking and judged her accordingly." I couldn't imagine eating only 2 little bites myself, so I couldn't imagine her doing the same.

A valuable lesson learned...

Have you ever done the same to another? Have you ever assumed they would act a certain way because you would act that way, and not because they necessarily would?

The more I think about it, the more I see it.

For instance, a selfish person fears others being selfish. One with a big ego, becomes competitive, figuring others are the same. A person who lies, doesn't trust others.

Hmmm...very interesting to consider...

How many of our judgments upon others expose our own nature and inclinations?
Paul wrote, "You are inexcusable, O man, whoever you are who judge, for in whatever you judge another you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things."

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Spirit View Home Page