Monday, August 10, 2009

Living love

Would you like more love in your life? Want to feel more of love’s presence?

Here’s a fun exercise to do that will draw you closer to what true love is and how to experience it.

Take the text of I Corinthians 13, frequently referred to as “Paul’s love letter,” and substitute your name for the word love. And then see how well you’re living the real thing....

Here’s the text:

“Love is patient and kind.
Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude.
Love does not demand its own way.
Love is not irritable, and it keeps no record of when it has been wronged.
It is never glad about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out.
Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.
Love will last forever, but prophecy and speaking in unknown languages and special knowledge will all disappear.” NLT

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I blew this exam...

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for this post as it was exactly what I needed for the morning!

Anonymous said...

This is great – thanks Evan. And, to the first poster…What I love most about this exercise is knowing, no matter what it seems like, if Love is patient and kind, then so must I be as Love’s image and likeness. Just as there is no option for the image in the mirror to choose to be short, brunette, and olive-skinned when I, who am tall, red-haired, and freckled, stand before it, so we, the image and likeness of God, have no choice but to reflect His qualities. That means we can never really fail this exam! And neither can any one of our loved ones!! BUT, if we find we’re not able to see these qualities in ourselves or others, it might mean that we need to be cleaning the dirt off of our mirrors! At least that’s the way that I look at it :).

Anonymous said...

Good reminder!

So, as God's man, His idea, so Christian Science teaches, I am just like Him (Her!).

I am always patient and kind, never jealous, boastful, proud or rude.
Never demanding, irritable,vindictive. Ever forgiving, kind, judgmental. Never discouraged, doubtful. I am an immortal idea.

Q: Where does the "flat earth" go when the round
earth "appears?"

:<))

Anonymous said...

Homerun Evan. Homerun.

Anonymous said...

as someone who feels they have failed this exam as well, it occurred to me that the root of the problem is I feel I am not loved, cared for. That there is something out there that is not God-like, something that causes impatience, unkindness, etc etc. So perhaps, we who feel we have failed can remind ourselves that we cannot get out of God's care or presence, and there fore ... what's not to love?

Anonymous said...

I'm deeply grateful for everything shared in this blog - it made me smile and I feel very loved and inspired!
Thank you, Evan!

Post a Comment

 

Spirit View Home Page