Wednesday, August 5, 2009

God blesses in abundance

While studying the story of the loaves and fishes in the Bible Lesson this week, I was struck by the fact that when God is acknowledged as the source of supply, one’s outward experience of supply multiplies, even when vast consumption occurs in the meantime.

There were thousands of hungry people to feed. Jesus had five barley loaves and two small fishes to distribute. But Jesus didn’t simply distribute a limited material quantity of food. He gave thanks to God first before passing the items around. He acknowledged and understood that God would feed the masses through the infinite resources of divine Love.

When everyone was done eating, the leftovers were gathered together, filling twelve baskets. And this is amazing to consider, that t
he five loaves and two fishes had grown into enough leftovers to fill 12 baskets! There was more food after dinner than before.

How could that be?

It was an act of Love.

And I thought, yes, that’s how God works. God’s supply is not a limited quantity of material items that get consumed. God’s supply is understanding, ideas, inspiration, gratitude, love, wisdom, and their kin, all of which multiply to the human sense of things when welcomed into thought.

The human mind calls spiritual ideas material things, but they are not. Spiritual ideas are, well, spiritual ideas. And when one gets the right idea of God and how God works through Mind, the effect is one of multiplying goodness in the everyday human experience.

And when it comes to feeding hungry mouths, if a meal is started by giving God the gratitude, there very well could be more left over after dinner than one had before. And that is very cool....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Evan!


The Big Transition .... changing our perception of things into the idea behind them, the spiritual idea, is such a good....idea! The time has come, or such words would not have been spoken. Home is not a place, but a power! It is the idea of peace, harmony, safety.... Anyone can have these, and so loving these, see them in better housing, etc. What a great Law!

It has been said the "Our usefulness is our supply."
I really like this. We can all be more useful, in millions of ways. This brings abundance to light!

"The kingdom of God is within you" ~ CJ

:<))

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Evan. So often your thoughts about the readings meet my need. I love the re-statement about what supply really is, and where it comes from.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Evan. My son left a basketball camp today a little early and a friend called to say that my son had won the raffle, but was not there to accept the prize. He was crushed. But I had just read your article! My son and I discussed what supply really means and we decided since we had so much that someone who really needed the raffle prize had been blessed. He told me "I feel much better." I like the fact that Jesus fed hunger and not appetite and he did not ask the
Roman government to furnish the food. As you said he knew that their real food was divine ideas honesty, courage, intelligence and integrity. Supply is not something outside or apart from man: it is not something that he has, it is something that he is.

Anonymous said...

Another good discussion! As a mom of 5, there have been many aspects of supply to be learned. Once, expecting our 2nd child, it came to me that humanly one would think of a pie that had been cut three ways, and would now have to be cut into four pieces. That's the limited human view. Further thought showed me that each one gets the whole pie spiritually. And that each one brings his/her own supply with him/her.
After my daughter was born, the CS practitioner visited me with a small baby gift. She said, "I have just spent the last two days knowing this girl child will never know lack". And she never has. She is generous, and compassionate,and has known only prosperity through these many decades later. I did not realize the wisdom of her work, until I later became aware of the deplorable conditions some women face in the world at large.

evan said...

Oh, that is an interesting blessing the practitioner bestowed on your young child. Got her off to a good start! Thx for sharing...

Anonymous said...

The 12 baskets of leftovers may have been for the servers, the 12 disciples.

Anonymous said...

Years ago I was making some instant chocolate pudding for four of us in my home when a friend pulled into my driveway with 3 or 4 of her kids. Even, the chocolate pudding kept growing. It was supposed to make 4 1/2 cup servings and it made enough for everyone! I had to keep finding dessert dishes to put it in. It was a wonderful demonstration of supply!

Post a Comment

 

Spirit View Home Page