Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Christian Science is expressive

There is often a difference between how Christian Science is practiced and what Christian Science teaches. One of the differences, I’ve noticed, is a tendency of many students to keep their Christian Science to themselves, as if it’s a secret kind of thing they don’t want their neighbors to know about.
I’ve been guilty of this in the past, and maybe even today at times if I feel overly intimidated by others who may react violently to my freely sharing what I believe. But it’s an evil that needs to be overcome in order for the student to experience the full blessings of Christian Science in their lives.

Christian Science is not an intellectual reasoning one harbors in consciousness like a banker holds money in his vault. Christian Science is Love lived expansively, broadly and prolifically.

It’s impossible to keep Christian Science to oneself and live it. It just doesn't work that way.

Students, who think they can keep it to themselves and fully live it, are not living it. Their experience with it will be meager and paltry. Somewhere along the line, it might even feel like it isn’t working anymore.

Look at how Jesus commanded his disciples to live Christian Science. He commanded them to go out into the world and preach the gospel. Preaching and evangelism was a requirement to follow him. Why? It was because the laws of God have to be lived, not just talked about. And one lives them by touching other people’s lives with truth and love.

Christian Science is not passive, stagnant, dormant, hermit-type living. Christian Science is the living, moving, breathing, pulsating presence of Love causing good things to happen wherever it is active. An active student of this Science manifests these qualities in everyday life. It is not a lonely experience. It is not a “sit in a cave and keep to oneself form of lifestyle.”

Christian Science, lived, is an instant cure for loneliness, isolation, and depression. It is a bright light that attracts attention and says, “I have something special to help you with.” And seekers of healing see that light, are attracted to it, and come, asking for help and they respond to the blessings that the spiritual light they see has to give.

I love the full-time practice of Christian Science because it keeps me out of myself. It keeps me focused on a power bigger than me and engaged with work that blesses others.


I can think of a few times over the years when I temporarily felt low or ill, and a call for prayerful help came in. No sooner did I start praying for the well being of another, that my own despair or illness fled, instantly. And the lesson has been learned, I find my own in another’s good. This is Christian Science. It’s all about living love for the benefit of others. It’s not about living for oneself. It is unselfed love in action.

I hope you enjoy expressing the truths of Christian Science today for the benefit of everyone around you!
The rich in spirit help the poor in one grand brotherhood, all having the same Principle, or Father; and blessed is that man who seeth his brother's need and supplieth it, seeking his own in another's good.” Mary Baker Eddy

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I read the first line of this blog, I silently went ‘amen’. But as I continued to read, your blog was entirely different from what I was expecting.

I was thinking the difference in the practice and teachings of CS, had more to do with how many CS get hung up on the human, trying to validate and fit the truths to make the human perfect. Instead of taking that radical stand that is demanded of us as students of Christian Science and as Christ Jesus taught and expected his followers to do.

I have felt intimidated to share, but this is among fellow church members, who at times seem to be materially-minded CS and stuck in dogma & tradition.

Guess I need to go back and read your blogs on the shallow mind and judge not. But, more importantly, I need to keep living what I do know and understand of Christian Science.

True, it is the spirit that will attract, not the letter sputtering.

Thanks for sharing; and therefore, reminding me to broaden my scope of perspective and expression!

Anonymous said...

Examples?
Please. us examplea
gi

Anonymous said...

The latter part of your blog reminded me of Job 42:10. "After Job had prayed for his friends, the LORD restored his fortunes and gave him twice as much as he had before." It wasn't when he was arguing his case before God, or when asking for his needs to be met. It was when he, in total humility to God (v.6) prayed for others (who first had accused him but later humbled themselves.. forgiveness was also key).

Regarding living faith openly, I say 'amen'. Love is a verb. Light shines the way out of darkness.

Thanks for sharing.

Keith Pape said...

thanks Evan - a nice course correction for my morning to send me off right.

Anonymous said...

I agree that evangelism is a vital part of living CS. It is a way of life that demands sharing, openness and freedom of expression.

Anonymous said...

Bulls eye. Great points. Jesus was always about his Father's business. But Mrs. Eddy does make an interesting statement. "The Christian Scientist is alone with his own being and with the reality of things."

DrDee said...

I am not a fan of prosyletising. I don't like it when people attempt to convert me, and I don't like to attempt to convert others.

A reason for this (amongst many others) is that I can't know what other people need. That said, I've given a copy of S&H to a friend who has benefited enormously. I gave this copy away because I felt impelled to, not because I wanted to convert her to CS. And not because someone told me this was about being a 'good Christian Scientist' (she loves MBE but has never become a CS.)

I remember my father-in-law saying he became interested in CS because of people who were fantastic. He wanted to know how they were able to live their lives as they did. He wanted to be like them.

IMO that's the way to go - when someone asks you, tell all. They'll already be interested and you wont need to convert anyone.

Is that what you mean, Evan, live life to the full and inspire others?

Brenda said...

Oh, Evan, this is so timely for me! I have hesitated to share, and when I have, it hasn't always been as freely/joyfully as it should have been. But just Sunday, a friend, who is a medical nurse, advised me that I should see a Dr. as she knows I haven't been feeling my best. I emailed back and told her that I am a student of CS and that over the years I have found it to be a safe, practical, effective means of healing. Feeling a lot of love for CS and my friend, no surprise I feel more my 'normal' self than I have in a while. But I must say (with a smile)her response was to send me another email about some common illnesses!!! I deleted it without reading it. But I am happy to have shared a little with her.
It has to bless.

evan said...

Yes, DrDee, live the teachings and inspire others, is the most effective form of evangelism I know!

Sharing can take many different forms, from talking, to writing, to speaking, to praying...it's individual. But the idea being, it is active in some way making a positive difference.

Anonymous said...

Can you give a real life example?

Shelley UK said...

This is EXACTLY an answer to a question I had this morning from a friend. I asked God for guidance about what I can do for her (since all my words and kindnesses are not getting anywhere) so I decided to email her the name and number of a practitioner in her area. I also have another friend who has been diagnosed with Parkinson's and knows what I believe, I shall give her a copy of S&H when I next see her.

I often think we need 'permission' to do the things we often 'kind of' want to do, and you, Evan, have provided that permission through being tuned in to write what you write. I always see it as' Evan's blog but God's word'.

evan said...

Great! Glad to hear about your inspired sharing...

Post a Comment

 

Spirit View Home Page