Thursday, November 6, 2008

My Fichus tree and the economy

A week ago, the Fichus tree in my office was shedding leaves by the hundreds every day. It’s a little tree, about 5 feet high, and I started to worry that it was dying.

“There weren’t going to be any leaves left,” I feared.

When I arrived at the office in the morning, leaves were on the floor to be swept up. I’d shake the limbs to separate any loose foliage so I wasn’t picking up a parade of dropping leaflets all day long.


One day, when the refuse was especially large, I noticed a third of the remaining leaves were yellow and ready to depart soon.

Why was my tree a goner? I wondered.

Then one afternoon, as I sat at my desk and stared at my sad looking tree, I noticed that there were a lot of leaves still on the branches. Maybe too many, I exclaimed. Could it be that the tree was shedding excess leaves from heavy summer growth, and preparing for a fresh new year? I pondered.

The next day, after several hundred more leaves fell, I noticed there were still a lot leaves on the tree. The plant appeared better balanced without the extra foliage. I decided that maybe the shedding was a yearly ritual to bring the upper structure into line with the supporting root system.

After hundreds more leaves fell, and still the limbs looked adequately clothed, I finally decided that the tree was in fine health, was not dying at all, and I had nothing to be concerned about.


Today, the tree looks beautiful, fit, and healthy. See below picture!

I saw an analogy between the falling leaves and the failing economy many fear today.

Terrified investors and worried business people are seeing signs of financial death all over the world. The media reports economical symptoms of demise everyday with increased layoffs, unpaid debt, shortage of credit, failing banks and more.


Like my falling leaves, if one watches only the failures, pretty soon, they might conclude that all is hopeless and lost, just like I thought my tree was lost.

But this need not be.

Just as my tree was not dying, the economy is not dying. It is rejuvenating, preparing for tomorrow, getting healthier and stronger for a better future.

The same law of balance that adjusted the foliage on my tree is adjusting our economy, eliminating what led to suffering and making way for the new and improved.

In the divine economy, supply and demand are in perfect balance, always. Human consciousness has yet to realize this truth and fully understand it, so, in its efforts to conduct business, it sometimes gets out of balance and takes on extreme forms like we’ve witnessed in our world economy over the last couple of decades.

But no matter what extreme the human is pushed to, God’s law of balance is constantly at work requiring conformity. The Christ is ever-present in human consciousness bringing extremes back into line with what more nearly represents the divine economy. The law of balance wipes out the extremes, and restores order.

Motives and desires have gotten out of whack with divine expectations in some corners of our economic structure. Too much greed, dishonesty, lust and impatience have governed decision-making, and caused distortions that led to gross loss and suffering. God’s law will not allow it to continue. Truth requires error to be seen and rectified.

While the “leaves are falling,” out of the economy, it’s important that we not get overwhelmed with dismay and discouragement. We have to step back from the carnage, and look for the good that remains, and be grateful for it. It is abundant!
We can protect ourselves from the fallout by living God’s law of balance faithfully, and not letting our decision-making be influenced by any of the extremes that are undergoing correction.

The underlying structure of our economy is immortal. It is spiritual, governed and controlled by the divine Mind. It will prevail and prosper.

As we all acknowledge the one Mind in control, and live in harmony with it, the divine economy will become more evident in everyday human transactions, and the extremes will be eliminated. Balance will prevail, and harmony restored.

These are not times to sit by and observe. We need to jump in with prayer and help all people overwhelmed by fear, be freed of their fears.

My Fichus tree was going to live whether I prayed or not. The law of balance was at work ensuring its survival. But I did need to pray to figure that out for myself.

The same rule applies to the economy. It is going to survive and be fine, but prayer is needed to help ourselves and our neighbor see all is well, so we can make sound decisions accordingly.

If I hadn’t prayed about my tree, I might have cut it down prematurely, and that wouldn’t have been wise! I needed to pray to keep myself from injuring the plant and making things worse.

My, oh my, what lessons can be learned from a Fichus…


My Fichus tree today!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this analogy, Evan!

Over the years I have increasingly come to understand why Jesus taught in parables. This so meets the human need...just where folks were/are in thought and experience. Truth is Love, not some abract theory!

Christian Science, the Science of the knowledge of God's Law, divine Science, is unfolding, and will continue to unfold its infinite goodness, forever!

Pretty wonderful, huh, folks!

:<)) Sue

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful story. Thank you so much!
Katharine

Susan said...

Thanks, Evan. This is one of those articles that contains ideas you think you've heard a million times. Then, surprisingly, eyes glued to the words, something shifts in thought and there is comfort. Or a big "Ah-ha!"

evan said...

You are welcome! I love those Ah-ha moments!!

barb said...

Beautiful !!Thanks so much ...

Post a Comment

 

Spirit View Home Page