Thursday, October 26, 2006

Learning to love

Leo Buscaglia wrote thirteen books, most on the subject of love. At one time, five of his books appeared on the New York Times best-seller list concurrently. His writings have sold over 18 million copies, and his first book, “Love,” was a continual best seller for twenty years.

Excerpt from an interview:



Veronica: Would you tell us about your very famous "Love Class" and how it got started?


Dr. Buscaglia: I started my Love Class as a result of the suicide of
one of my most talented students. She showed no sign of her despair. Then one day she took her life. I had to ask, "What's the good of all our learning, knowing how to read and write and spell if no one ever teaches us the value of life, of our uniqueness, and personal dignity?" So I started my Love Class.


Can you relate? It happens frequently. People focus their time and energy on getting smart, being a successful businessperson, earning a larger wage, buying a bigger house…and they succeed, but eventually stop one day and ask, “What do I have to show for my effort that really matters? What gives life real joy and purpose? Is it the things I have, or something more I’ve missed along the way?”

Life is love…

Dr. Buscaglia: The essence of love is getting out of oneself and into others. When we care less about our feelings, our rights, our happiness, our security, etc., and begin to concern ourselves with the feelings, rights, happiness, and security of others, we will have found the true power of love.
Scroll down to the end of the interview and take the Love Quiz.

Did you pass the test for today?

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Spirit View Home Page