Wednesday, May 2, 2007

What gives your religion meaning?

The below passage was sent to me today by a reader who is striving to live his spiritual faith rather than simply talk it.

I like the quote. You might too…

The only part of our religion that is real is the part we express in our daily lives. Ideals that we do not act out in practice are mere abstract theories and have no real meaning. Actually, such pretended ideals are a serious detriment, because they drug the soul into a false sense of security.

If you want to receive any benefit from your religion you must practice it, and the place to practice it is right here where you are, and the time to do it is now.

Divine Love is the only real power. If you can realize this fact even dimly it will begin to heal and harmonize every condition in your life within a few hours. The way to realize this fact is to express it in every word you speak, in every business transaction, in every social activity, and, in fact, in every phase of your life.

An early New Thought writer said: "Knead love into the bread you bake; wrap strength and courage in the parcel you tie for the woman with the weary face; hand trust and candor with the coin you pay to the man with the suspicious eyes." This is beautifully said, and it sums up the Practice of the Presence of God.

~ Emmet Fox


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like this, too. Is the entire thing from Emmet Fox or just the part in quotations?

evan said...

I believe the part in quotes is from a writer other than Fox, and the rest is Fox.

Anonymous said...

This really hit home with me today. While it has been my goal to serve others with compassion, I realized, while praying about an issue I have felt quite agitated about, that I have been inserting too much me into the picture. As a result, in trying to serve others, I would experience non-compassion, frustration, and irritation with those who I felt did not provide equally devoted service. Instead of applying compassion to all, I determined who I felt deserved compassion. I became focused on the material picture, and was blind to the fact that I was not seeing God's creation in everything and everyone before me. I wasn't looking to God for resolution of these issues, but looking to myself, my judgment, as if I were the one in control. In my zeal to do good I became blind. This message came following my eyes being opened through much prayerful work today. What a blessing. Susan

evan said...

Love, love, love is the one thing that matters most. The rest is...well...not that big of a deal.

Post a Comment

 

Spirit View Home Page