Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Daily maintenance of thought

This morning I reviewed some odd jobs that needed to be done around the house. The pilot light in the fireplace won’t stay lit. There’s a growing crack in the tile of the dining room floor that needs to be repaired, and my wife needs some yard work done before winter sets in. There’s more…



Geez, I protested. Keeping up a house is a never-ending maintenance project!


As a rule, I don't let jobs accumulate. For the most part, I get them done promptly.

But, I momentarily mused, what if I ignored items needing attention and went on my merry way with only activities I wanted to do?


The answer was simple. The house would fall into a continuing state of disrepair until the number of tasks needing attention was large, the place would look grossly neglected and it would take a huge amount of work to get the premises back into shape. This was not a place I ever wanted to be!


Then I thought about the human mind and body it governs. It seems to be an on-going maintenance project too. If neglected and allowed to fall into a state of disrepair, a huge list of “to-do” items is eventually faced. As with the care of a house, it's better to stay on top of things from the beginning.


Christian Science teaches a unique form of maintenance for mind and body. As Jesus taught, it’s not through material ways and means that an ideal state is attained, but through increased spiritual understanding. The metaphysical “maintenance program,” if you will, of Christian Science, is spiritualization of thought and Christianization of daily life.

But this takes work! It requires prayer and study work!


Many people try to slide by for decades without putting in sufficient prayer time for proper spiritual maintenance of thought. And like a nice new house slowly falling into disrepair, the evidence of need may appear very slight at first. But if repeatedly ignored, eventually the list of to-do items becomes so large that major remedial action is needed to salvage the premises. It’s much easier to stay on top of the to-do list from the beginning and not be overwhelmed later on.


So, after that brief review of the value of on-going maintenance, I decided not to tire of keeping up our home. Be grateful you have it! I reminded myself. And show your appreciation by taking good care of it.



Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come. But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up. Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.” Jesus Christ


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that article. I have been going thru the same thing and it was helpful to see that as we maintain our thinking, all the rest will fall into place. The fear of so many projects and money needed for them tried to oerwhelm me but when I went back to some articles about eternal supply being knowing that God supplies all good always enabled me to move forward with joy. Vicki

Post a Comment

 

Spirit View Home Page