Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Watch out for the killer biscuits

This story is so funny, I wanted to share it with you…


Killer biscuits wanted for attempted murder

Linda Burnett, 23, a resident of San Diego, was visiting her in-laws and while there, went to a nearby supermarket to pick up some groceries. Several people noticed her sitting in her car with the windows rolled up, her eyes closed with both hands behind the back of her head. One customer who had been at the store for a while became concerned and walked over to the car.

He noticed that Linda’s eyes were now open, and she looked very strange. He asked her if she was okay, and Linda replied that she’d been shot in the back of the head, and had been holding her brains in for over an hour. The man called the paramedics, who broke into the car because the doors were locked and Linda refused to remove her hands from her head.

When they finally got in, they found that Linda had a wad of bread dough on the back of her head. A Pillsbury biscuit canister had exploded from the heat, making a loud noise that sounded like a gunshot, and the wad of dough hit her in the back of her head.

When she reached back to find out what it was, she felt the dough and thought it was her brains. She initially passed out, but quickly recovered and tried to hold her brains in for over an hour until someone noticed and came to her aid.

According to Snopes.com, this story is not true, but evolved from a comedian’s routine many years ago. It’s still a blast to read though, because it points out how absurd human mind conclusions can be when drawn from physical sense testimony.

While most of us would likely not repeat the above scenario, how often have we repeated the act in different situations, and with more serious consequences?

I’m thinking of the recent spate of flu cases across the country. How many people have caught the flu, not through material contagion, but from seeing it in others and believing they’re going to catch it too?

Like the Pillsbury dough container exploding with great noise, the media advertises the flu with great ado, and if one hasn’t avidly protected their thought from the mental contagion, they might at some point believe they’ve been “shot in the back of the neck” too and start manifesting the same symptoms.

The physical senses can be so misleading at times. They cannot be trusted.

Jesus Christ instructed, “
Watch!” And he meant watch for spiritual truth so one doesn’t get tricked by the human mind into drawing erroneous conclusions.

God created us spiritual beings governed rightly by spiritual sense. When we listen to spiritual sense and not to physical sense testimony, we draw the right conclusions about our health and well being and spare ourselves much grief.

Watch out for those "killer biscuits!"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Evan, Great story and so true with the flu comments. I work with people everyday and shake hands etc. All winter long I heard "watch out for that flu bug, it's nasty!" Well, I never gave it much thought but one morning I woke up with the worst case, Man it was bad. I was even forced to go to the doctor by my nonscientist wife who was rightfully concerned. The doc said I had a viral type of flu and there was nothing I could do but "suffer it out" and next yr get a flu shot. Wow! That was helpful. As I drove home I realized just how mesmerizing this whole scene can be. The constant talk about influenza, the drug commercials on TV etc. I had been mesmerized by this onslaught of negative pictures and hadn't really done any work to realize its nothingness. A couple of days later I felt worse than I can ever remember and in the middle of the night shouted to myself "I can't do it!" meaning I can't heal this or I can't continue in this way. God has to take the burden so to speak and I went back to sleep, much relieved. The next morning I awoke a little better but knew that I certainly didn't have to "suffer it out" and never missed a day of work and the flu just faded out in a couple more days. Once I realized I needed to get the "I" out of this situation, the picture changed and that is what healing in CS is all about. Thanks for the great blog.

evan said...

Great example of persisting with Truth and not giving into despair and discouragement. It seems like tough work at times to pray for healing, but, as you mention, when we get the little ego out of the way and let the divine Ego take over, it's a whole lot easier.

Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I once had an experience like that.
had acid reflux acid in my throat so badly one day.I was being careless and didn't take care of it with meds. The next couple of days, I tried drinking sprite to calm things down. We'll, It didn't work. I ended up with a lump feeling in my throat. Well, I was convinced that couldn't swallow due ti the lumpy feeling. But, when I ate something, I swallowed normal. That was the worst feeling ever. Thank God for the truth.

Post a Comment

 

Spirit View Home Page