Thursday, May 10, 2007

Decide to be happy

A 92-year-old, petite, well-poised and proud man, who is fully dressed each morning by eight o'clock, with his hair fashionably coifed and shaved perfectly, even though he is legally blind, moved to a nursing home. His wife of 70 years had recently passed, making the move necessary.

After many hours of waiting patiently in the lobby of the nursing home, he smiled sweetly when told his room was ready.

As he maneuvered his walker to the elevator, his aide provided a visual description of his tiny room, including the eyelet sheets that had been hung on his window.

"I love it," he stated with the enthusiasm of an eight-year-old having just been presented with a new puppy.

"Mr. Jones, you haven't seen the room; just wait."

"That doesn't have anything to do with it," he replied.

"Happiness is something you decide on ahead of time. Whether I like my room or not doesn't depend on how the furniture is arranged. It depends upon my attitude, and I’ve already decided that I’m going to love it. “

The aide took Mr. Jones to his new room, and the gentleman happily settled into his new quarters.


I love this story because it is a vivid reminder of the spiritual nature of happiness. It’s not the furniture in our room that brings joy, but the furniture in our thought. The more inspired our thinking, the easier it is to be happy under any number of different circumstances.

“If you wish to be happy, argue with yourself on the side of happiness; take the side you wish to carry, and be careful not to talk on both sides, or to argue stronger for sorrow than for joy. You are the attorney for the case, and will win or lose according to your plea.”

Christian Healing, by Mary Baker Eddy

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this, Evan. The story and the Mrs Eddy quotation hit the spot for me. :)

Anonymous said...

Evan, Do you know where I can get a copy of the Chritian Healing book by MBE? Our speaker at our association meeting last week gave some other great quotes from it and I wanted to get a copy? Thanks.

evan said...

To anon above,

"Christian Healing" is a little book by Mary Baker Eddy. You can buy it at any Christian Science Reading Room. It's also included in a book titled, "Prose Works," which you might be able to buy online at www.spirituality.com. Click into their store.

Anonymous said...

Oops, Sorry, I am very familiar with that one as I have Prose Works. I think our speaker was talking about a biography of Mrs. Eddy called Mary Baker Eddy, Christian Healer. I will check your sources for it. Thanks.

evan said...

To anon above,

Yes, there is a book called "Mary Baker Eddy, Christian Healer." It's an excellent read filled with impressive healings.

Try www.spirituality.com online, or find a local Christian Science Reading Room to buy a copy.

Bill said...

I find this story and Mary Baker Eddy's quote most rewarding. I try each day upon awakening to be mindful of the joy the day will bring to us, keeping that glow of happiness.

Thanks

Post a Comment

 

Spirit View Home Page