Saturday, May 5, 2007

Coaching our youngsters

A reader sent in the below quote by John Wooden from his book, “They call me coach.” Wooden was a renown basketball coach at UCLA with an impressive win record under his belt and has many words of wisdom to share from his vast experience.

In reading the below I couldn’t help but think about the different coaches and teachers I’ve had over the years who had either an inspiring or less than inspiring effect on my attitude about life.

“It is most difficult, in my mind, to separate any success, whether it be in your profession, your family, or as in my case, in basketball, from religion.

“In my profession, I must be deeply concerned with God’s belief in me and be truly interested in the welfare of my fellowman. No coach should be trusted with the tremendous responsibility of handling young men under the great mental, emotional, and physical strain to which they are subjected unless he is spiritually strong….The coach who is committed to the Christlike life will be helping youngsters under his supervision to develop wholesome disciplines of body, mind, and spirit that will build character worthy of his Master’s calling. He must set the proper example by work and by deed. It is not easy.”


All youngsters are certainly benefited from coaches who aspire to Wooden’s ideals…



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Spirit View Home Page