Thursday, March 15, 2007

Don't beat up on yourself

Have you ever heaped criticism and condemnation upon yourself? Jabs coming your way in the form of

  • I can never get it right!
  • I always mess up.
  • I’m a total failure.
  • My future is hopeless.
  • I might as well not try anymore…

Many people fight these kinds of depressing thoughts and feel overwhelmed by them. But there is a victory to be had over such self-destructive thinking.

God did not make a failure!

Every one of God’s creatures is designed for success, and to experience more of our God-given worth, we need to identify ourselves as worthy children of God.

If we see ourselves as failures and hopeless cases, we’re not looking at a child of God. We’re looking at a demoralized mortal mind view, which is always depressing.

The cure for the depressed view is to get the right view, the spiritual view.

God’s child is full of good, full of promise, and endowed with talent and ability. God’s child is not weak, unintelligent or disconnected. God’s beloved is cared for, loved and divinely supported.

See yourself the right way, from God’s perspective, and you’ll realize more of your God-given worth and ability.

To a man who was getting down on himself and criticizing his past behavior, I said, “Quit beating up on yourself! You have infinite worth and value. Maybe you have more to discover about the real you, but give yourself a running chance to make that discovery. Value the brilliant child of God you are! What you did yesterday doesn't determine what you can experience today.” It helped turn his attitude around and head him in a more positive direction.

Same rule applies to all of us.

We must not get mesmerized by a lie. We can know the truth about ourselves as God’s child and not be mesmerized by a demoralized mortal mind view, which is always wrong.

God made each of us spectacular!

You are unique, individual and wonderful in your own special way.

Don’t beat up on yourself. Love your real self—your spiritual self--made in God’s image, and live Life to the fullest.

“Man’s spiritual individuality is never wrong. It is the likeness of man’s Maker.” Mary Baker Eddy

3 comments:

Kate said...

Thanks Evan...I needed that!

with Love, Kate

Bill said...

Evan: What a great thought as I needed that direction. Recently I have experienced some negative thoughts about who I am and where I am going.

I will get back on tract.

Anonymous said...

What strange circumstances brought me to this site. I was seeking out a thread on Willard Wigan -- to use his art to explain the miracles that still occur among us. That led somehow to this site and blog, and I idly clicked on "Don't beat up on yourself."
Words to save a life.
Mine needed.
Thanks.
Be to God.

Post a Comment

 

Spirit View Home Page