Tuesday, February 27, 2007

More on the secret

I enjoyed reading the below excerpt on “the wonderful secret” from a Christian Science lecture by Irving Tomlinson sent in by a reader.


I have learned how to make Science a thing of life, not words, and I am going to tell you what the wonderful secret is, for it is wonderful. Now it is this: not to see or hear or repeat any kind of imperfection. It is seeing, hearing, and repeating only good at all times, under all circumstances, in spite of everything that appears to the contrary.

I make this resolution every morning when I wake up, when first I open my eyes, and I review it every hour of the day. I see perfection, a perfect cause and effect, perfect God and perfect man. And I refuse to admit the slightest imperfection in myself of my friends, and in my so-called enemies, in my affairs or in the affairs of the world. I take my radical stand every day for the perfection of God in everything and everybody He has made.

I look upon the world with God’s eyes and see it as He sees it. I refuse to see it any other way. I stop a dozen times a day to review this resolution and to make sure that I am not giving way to fear or criticism. I watch my thoughts about people – the lame, the old, the unlovely (to sense) that I meet – and stray animals. I have taken a radical stand for the perfection of all things, and I will not, absolutely will not, release the perfect standard.

The results have been marvelous. Try it, and you will forget to wear your glasses, as they will not be necessary. You will be seeing with God’s eyes. You will behold a perfect universe, since outward conditions are pictures of our inward thinking. To change the picture, we must change the thought that produces the picture….


Christian Science, as explained in Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, by Mary Baker Eddy, gives us the metaphysical tools we need to “change the picture.”

Christian Science teaches that we live in a universe of perfect Mind, that all sensations of evil are unrealities of physical sense, and in as much as evil looks and feels very real to the material sense of things, that picture of evil dissipates into its native nothingness as we genuinely accept and understand the perfection and allness of God’s harmonious creation.

It takes vigorous practice and effort to overcome belief in evil with an understanding of omnipresent good, but Christ is at work within each of us ensuring we reach the goal.

Victory is certain! and that is no secret.

3 comments:

Lorna said...

What a wonderful out-look! It's interesting that he mentioned that the need for glasses would disappear, because recently I had an optometrist appointment (because I had broken the pair of glasses I use to drive with) and the diagnosis was that my eyes are improving and have been for the past few years. Instead of getting worse as I grow older, the prescription for the glasses is becoming less powerful. Is it a mere coincidence that improvement has been occuring since I have been dedicated to living a more God-centered life? I would think not! How grateful I am for this small proof of God ever with us.

Kate said...

I LOVE that you have shared this with us....thank you...it really is all about perception...the very same circumstance that can look like something bad to one person...can look like an opportunity to discover something noble and good in oneself to another...its all in the seeing...

hugs,

evan said...

Lorna,

Wow! What a great example of truth in action in your life with the decreasing need for glasses. Truth clears the vision and wipes the mist of error away!
Thanks for sharing.

Post a Comment

 

Spirit View Home Page