Monday, January 8, 2007

Goals worth pursuing

I had a very enjoyable time this weekend getting obliterated in a doubles tennis tournament by some opponents far superior in tennis talent than to me and my partner.

Let me explain…

It was the Deep Freeze Doubles Tournament in Tri-Cites, WA this weekend. I wanted to enter a level higher than my rating to gain experience playing against tougher players. I found a willing partner at my same rating. As it turned out, the first match we played was against the team who went on to win the division. They were phenomenally good—compared to us!

We never considered winning, only learning.

During the match, which was not really a match for the other team, I was quite a happy bouncy fellow on the court rejoicing in the truth that I was not feeling defeated even the score was 1-6, 1-6, as it turned out. My goal was not to beat the other team, but to be fearless in the face of tough competition.

I had a spiritual goal of developing more poise and control on the court under pressure. And during the match, I saw clearly that no score, or lack thereof, could prevent me from reaching my goal.


And why? Because my goal was spiritual.

As is typical for me, my mind went off in a number of directions during the match about what I was discovering on the subject of goals.

If a goal is material, one may or may not reach it. A material goal sets one up for potential defeat and discouragement.

A spiritual goal, however, is always reachable, and no material condition can prevent us from reaching it.


I was striving to express more courage, confidence, dominion, and foresight in my game. Were there any obstacles to reaching this goal exterior to my own commitment and desire? No. None. There were no hurdles in the way, and thus the reason I was not feeling in the least bit defeated.

Wow! Think about it. A plan for reaching every single goal you set.


How? By setting spiritual goals, not material ones.

Many people spend decades pursuing a material goal they never reach. The cure for feeling like a failure is to not set yourself up to feel like a failure in the first place.

Set spiritual goals. They are the only aims worth achieving in the long run. Worldly success is temporal, fleeting, and shallow compared to the riches and wealth of Spirit.

It’s amazing what one can learn in a simple tennis game.

Even though many opponents have outscored me in tennis matches over the last three years, I’ve never felt like a loser. And I’m seeing more clearly why. It’s because my goal in playing tennis is fundamentally spiritual—to learn more about God and my relationship to Him. This is a goal that sets me up to always feel like a winner…because I know it is doable.

You can set goals that guarantee you to be a winner everytime too.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Evan!
This is terrific - just what I needed to find today! These are such great concepts!!
Thank you from Texas

Anonymous said...

Fabulous! I am going to take this lesson on setting spiritual goals and put it in practice. Setting spiritual goals blesses my friends and family too while material goals can appear to step on others. Wonderful. You should consider submitting this to Journal or Sentinel so it can bless many!

Anonymous said...

Ohh....I get it now! This is really good. Thanks!

Post a Comment

 

Spirit View Home Page